Notice of Non-discrimination -- Chapter 2
Under the Tempe City Code, Chapter 2, Article VIII, it is unlawful to discriminate on the basis of
The Diversity Office investigates complaints of discrimination within the city limits of Tempe in:
- Public Accommodations
Why is this information important?:
The City of Tempe takes great pride in being a welcoming, diverse and inclusive community. The Diversity Office at the City of Tempe is available to assist in preventing and/or correcting acts of discrimination. As a business owner, having inclusive policies and practices improves service delivery and reduces risk of complaints.
Specific Entities Covered:
- Places of public accommodation, facilities, services, commodities, or use offered to or enjoyed by the general public, operated within the City of Tempe.
- Housing providers operating within the City limits of Tempe in the sale or rental of housing, including but not limited to individual lessees, real estate agents/brokers and lending institutions.
- Employment (businesses within the City of Tempe).
- Most private clubs and non-profit religious organizations.
- For more information about excluded entities, see Tempe City Code Chapter 2, Section 2-604.
Who May File a Complaint?
Any person claiming to be aggrieved by a violation of this chapter may file a complaint with the Diversity Office within forty-five (45) calendar days from the time of the alleged violation. For more information about the complaint process, see Tempe City Code Chapter 2, Section 2-606.
Complaint forms are available from the Diversity Office or by clicking here to fill out and print.
If the complaint meets the legal requirements, the Diversity Office shall investigate and render written findings as to whether there is or is not reasonable cause to substantiate the charge.
The Diversity Office shall make every effort to conciliate complaints.
Either party to the complaint may appeal the findings to the City Manager within five (5) calendar days of receipt of the findings. For more information about the appeal process, see Tempe City Code Chapter 2, Section 2-608.
Appeal forms are available from the Diversity Office or by clicking here to print.
For more information contact the
City of Tempe Diversity Office
31 E. Fifth Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 350-2907 (Fax)
Title VI Compliance Poster
Click here to view the Title VII Compliance Poster