Owners of rental properties soon find that the problems associated with criminal activity are beyond their ability to control. It cannot be resolved by law enforcement intervention alone due to landlord-tenant and privacy laws. To solve the problem it requires a community-based solution like the Crime Free Rental Housing Program. The Crime Free Rental Housing Program is a unique crime prevention program designed to reduce crimes, drugs, and gangs on small rental properties.
What is the Crime Free Single Family Rental Housing Program?
The program consists of three phases that are completed under the supervision of Tempe Police Crime Prevention Unit. Homeowners and property managers can become individually certified after the successful completion of all three phases.
Crime Free Single Family Rental Housing Program Advantages:
•A stable more satisfied tenant base
•Increased demand for rental units with a reputation for active ownership/management
•Improved personal safety for residents and the neighborhood
•Direct communication with the police department when an officer responds to a call for service at your specified address(es)
Here is an outline of the program:
Step I - Click on the link below to watch a short slideshow presentation about the program. Once this is done please move on to step two. To advance through the slide show please click on the double arrows on the bottom left. To return to this page for step two click on the upper right web page (back) arrow.
Once you have completed filling out the forms, please e-mail or fax (480-858-6339) them to the coordinator to complete the second phase of the program.
- Crime Free Single Family Rental Contract
- Crime Free Single Family Property Data Sheet
- Authority to Trespass Form - Please add your e-mail address to this form prior to sending
Send E-mail to: Megan_Erwin@tempe.gov
Step III -
- Police send e-mails to property owners when officers respond to the listed address.
- Owners may utilize a free web page for additional information on police calls to or near their respective address (www.raidsonline.com)
- Owners may contact Tempe Police Records Bureau to request police reports to assist in issuing notices (i.e., 10-days notices, evictions) Click here to go to the Records web page
- Owners and managers are invited to attend on-going monthly training during the lunch hour. Held on the 4th Thursday of every month.